Contact Us : email@example.com
Sacred Heart Girls’ Higher Secondary School caters not only to the academic excellence of each student but most importantly in its 75 year journey, it has rendered an invaluable service towards the well-being of each child entrusted to its care.
Sacred Heart Convent, Mawlai was founded in 1938 by the missionary sisters who were armed with a charisma and zeal to work for the upliftment of the people in this part of India. Those sisters were Sr. Cecilia Daroit, Sr. Clotilde Appiano and Sr. Margareth Greppi. The house at Mawlai was officially opened on March 14th, 1938 by Mother Clotide M. Coglialo on her annual visit to Assam. The Convent was placed under the patronage of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Sr. Cecelia Daroit was appointed the first Superior of the newly formed Community. At its initial stage, the sisters were entrusted with the task of teaching the newly found primary school and catering to the needs of the orphan girls who lived in the locality running a vocational centre in tailoring, knitting, weaving, dyeing and yarning and a dispensary for the locals.
The 2nd of July 1939, marked a red letter day in the annals of the history of the Salesian Sisters of Northern India where the sisters entered the New House at Mawlai with a spirit of self sacrifice, apostolic missionary zeal and earnestness, the Sisters continued their activities towards the upliftment of the poor and illiterate who were living in this remote part of our country, India.
In 1941, with a view to facilitate educational progress, the Middle School started with Class V and proceeded upto Class VI. In 1956, Class VII was opened which proceeded to the establishment of a complete High School. In 1982, two adjacent plots of land were acquired to accommodate the increasing number of students. The year 1986 saw the establishment of a new building. In 1999, the High School was upgraded to Higher Secondary by the inclusion of Classes XI and XII. This year 2012, the Commerce Stream has been introduced with a view to impart commerce education. This is the first of its kind in Mawlai. At present, the school’s continuous growth and academic excellence has been commented by the Government. The school has been brought under the Deficit Scheme up to the Secondary Section since 1982, thereby enabling it to receive grants and financial aid from the Government.
In addition to our regular activities in school, in the boarding and Pre-aspirantate, the Sisters on sundays and holidays involve themselves in instructing and catechizing programmes in the vicinity, keeping the slogan “We Care and Share” in mind.